Memories of Barney...

Below, I will be posting memories of Barney sent by others...

Mother drew a long hot bath...

(posted by Phil Haussler)


Aunt Jodi posted an outstanding biography of my grandfather, Barney Reher. I'll add one of my favorite memories of grandpa Barney:

When I was in college -- probably the summer of 1998 -- I started a small-time one-man contract painting business, following in grandpa's footsteps. That summer, my uncle Dan had replaced some windows in Grammy and Grandpa's sun room. Since his health didn't allow him to sand and paint the unfinished trim, they called me in for the work. He sat at the kitchen table and watched me work for several days. It must have just driven him crazy as my work was something far less than professional. But he bit his tongue and only offered advice a few times over several days.

At lunch, I took a break for some grammy-sandwiches and somehow we got to talking about their early marriage. Grammy was telling me that shortly after getting married they moved to California with almost nothing to their name. Soon after arriving Barney's mother decided to visit. And because they only had only one double bed in their small apartment, all three of them had to sleep together. We all laughed at the thought. And then grandpa said in his typical booming voice (without a doubt the loudest voice you've ever heard):

'...but in the middle of the night mother got up and drew a long hot bath so we could have sex.'

I miss him very much.
I hope grammy will forgive me if I messed up the story or embarrassed her...

No comments: